Saturday, December 02, 2006

Dubai 2006 First Post

It's always exciting to come to Dubai. There is always something new going on to be awed by... usually in the form of construction, or hotels, or politics. The flights here were pretty boring, which is not a bad thing. Emirates continues to prove to be head and shoulders above Air Canada in terms of, well, everything. Food, service, friendliness, organization etc. My head cold kept me in state of dazed bewilderment during my stopover in Heathrow, as if I had left my head up in the clouds when I landed. But a couple of hours later I was re-united with my brain in the clouds, and thankfully it landed with me in Dubai.

Much to my shock and dismay, it rained the whole first day here... but I got to sleep off the jet-lag and head cold, and meet up with Cheryl, Isaac, Michele and Sydney.


The hotel is called the Oasis Beach Tower, and we live on the 45th floor in a semi-palatial suite. The square footage is dazzling... and the furniture is contemporary. Ironically this is considered "no-frills living" here, since we have a kitchen, and *gasp* no personal butler. Honestly it's better this way, the butlers never iron your socks quite right.

From our dining room table we can see "The Palm Jumeirah". Go here for all the video and sound effects: http://www.thepalm.ae/



The sun seems to be out today, so I'm hoping to absorb some into my pasty whiteness, and then enjoy some real middle eastern lunch. Tonight is the first official function, the welcome dinner for us Canadian consultants. We've all vowed to keep our heads down and do our jobs without being pulled into the swirling vortex of Festival Politics, which are apparently worse than ever this year.

You'll all be relieved to know that there is an espresso machine in the kitchen, so Oliver can live in a civilized manner.

That's all for now... except for these pics of my birthday food back home the day before I left: fondue and cupcakes. How's that for civilized?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home